Built between 1785 and 1788 for Sir Henry
Etherington, Sheriff of Kingston upon Hull in 1758 and Mayor
in 1785, the building passed to his niece Lady Mary Beauclerk,
daughter of the Duke of St Albans in 1830. In 1844 it
was purchased from her by Charles Turner whose family
lived there until 1902.
In 1904 the Turner Estate
comprising of 885 acres was bought as a whole by Filmer
Wilson of the world famous shipping empire. The Wilson
family retained Ferriby Hall, and sold Ferriby House to
Godfrey Robinson. The Godfrey Robinson family lived there
until 1953 when the property was acquired by Kingston upon
Hull City Council.
The home was formally opened in 1954
by the Lord Mayor as a retirement home. Ownership passed
to Humberside County Council in 1974 and the use continued
until 1982 when structural and other problems led to its
Semi-derelict and in need of substantial
structural repairs it was acquired by by the current owners, Ian and Sheila Holden
in 1983. They restored the building, converting and registering it for its present
use as a nursing home. As a Grade II* listed building,
great care has been taken in carrying out the necessary
work to retain what is accepted to be one of the most
important Georgian interiors in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Exquisite plasterwork, original fireplaces and a double cantilevered staircase with a minstral gallery landing are a few of the features of this period home.